Dr. N.C. Mondal received B.Sc. Physics (Hons.) degree from The University of Burwan, West Bengal and M.Sc. Tech. Geophysics from Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi. He obtained his Ph.D. in Geophysics jointly from CSIR-NGRI & Osmania University, Hyderabad and also pursued Advance Groundwater Modeling Study at Texas A&M University, Texas, USA under the BOYSCAST Programme (funded by DST, GoI).
Presently Dr. Mondal is working as a Principal Scientist of Earth Process Modeling Group, CSIR-National Geophysical Research Institute, Hyderabad, India & holding Associate Professor of Physical Sciences, Academy of Scientific & Innovative Research (AcSIR).
His principal research topics encompassed groundwater exploration, hydrochemistry, aquifer modeling, and entropy theory in water resources. He has developed (1) an efficient & versatile technique for estimation of groundwater potential zones, (2) an Index called Saline Water Mixing Index (SWMI) for evaluating the relative degrees of saline water mixing, (3) a novel technique developed for estimating the natural backgrounds of groundwater pollution, (4) a new innovative entropy-based model for assessing natural groundwater reserve, and (5) also an interaction-based model for assessing the degrees of hydrogeological vulnerability.
Dr. Mondal has actively participated in establishing the Pilot Project on Aquifer Mapping (AQUIM)-India in the collaboration with CGWB (MoWR) & Aarhus University, Denmark.
He has credited more than 109-Research Articles in International & Indian Journals (Google Scholar Citations: 3045, h-index: 29 & i10-Index: 60; https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?hl=en&user=Sn5vqikAAAAJ); 19-Chapters in Books and 48-Technical Reports. He has already guided one Ph.D. Student of AcSIR, 06-M.E./M.Tech. Theses, and 10-Summer/Winter Trainees.
He is member(s) of the European Water Resources Association (EWRA), International Association of Hydrogeologists (IAH), International Association of Hydrological Sciences (IAHS), International Society for Development & Sustainability (ISDA-Japan, Association of Hydrologists of India (AHI), Indian Association of Hydrologists (IAH), Indian Society for Hydraulics (ISH) & Association of Global Groundwater Scientists (AGGS).
He is presently Associate Editor-AGGS Journal of Ground Water Research, and Member of National Editorial Advisory Board- Bulletin of Pure and Applied Sciences: Geology.
He is the recipient (s) of the BOYSCAST Fellow-2009 (DST, GoI), The National Geoscience Award-2017 (Ministry of Mines, GoI), Bharat Jyoti Award-2019 (IIFS, New Delhi), Outstanding Scientist Award-2020 & Best Researcher Award-2021 (VDGOOD, Chennai). He is elected as Joint Secretary of AGGS & Executive Member of AHI, He has been honored as “Fellow" of Telangana Academy of Sciences (FTASc), “Fellow" of Geological Society (India), and Fellow-Association of Global Groundwater Scientists (AGGS).
He also visited USA, Singapore & Mauritius for presenting his research findings.
1) Hydro-mechanical modelling in seismically active Koyna- Warna region, Maharashtra, India [HOME-KW].
2) Groundwater Assessment of regional hydrological systems using Space Borne Gravity Observations.
3) Delineating the boundary of shallow saline zones encountered in Poyya, Karalam, Adat, and Tholur Panchayats in Thrissur District, Kerala, and investigating their origin and possibility of any underlying freshwater aquifers through geophysical surveys.
1) Fellow-Telangana Academy of Sciences (FTASc)
2) Fellow-Geological Society of India (GSI)
3) Fellow-Association of Global Groundwater Scientists (AGGS)
4) National Geoscience Award-2017 honored by the Ministry of Mines (GoI), New Delhi
5) BOYSCAST Fellow (2009-10) honored by Department of Science & Technology (GoI), New Delhi
1) Mr. Venkatarao Ajaykumar, PhD Thesis: Awarded: Nov 02,2022. 2) Mr. Sateesh Chandrapuri, PhD Thesis: Ongoing. 3) Md. Abdurrahman, PhD Thesis: Ongoing.
M.Sc. Tech, (Geophysics), Ph D & Post Doctoral Fellow-TAMU, USA
1) European Water Resources Association (EWRA)
2) Association of Hydrologists of India (AHI)
3) Indian Association of Hydrologists (IAH)
4) Association of Global Groundwater Scientists (AGGS)
5) Member of National Editorial Advisory Board- Bulletin of Pure and Applied Sciences: Geology.
6) Associate Editor-Journal of Groundwater Research